My adoring fan, Jim West, has written a (another) piece directed against the Holy Father, Vicar of Christ, Pope Francis. His soul, no doubt, is in danger at this very moment.
He writes, “He’s gone loony and taken his ‘People’s Pope’ persona past the brink of theological sensibility this time.”
On Facebook, otherwise intelligent people are laughing at the Pope in what they assume is a theological issue, because if there is anyone not steeped in theology, it’s the Pope, right?
The deal is… the Pope blessed a parrot. This is not like a normal blessing, of course, but given the literalist language used by some…, well. You can find more about the blessing of animals here. I assume they aren’t mocking the man simply because the parrot happened to be owned by a gay stripper. After all, the guy was a pilgrim in Rome. He was seeking Christ first, I assume.
They seem deft of context. Pope Francis has taken his name after St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. Further, this Pope has made it a mission to bring theology to the people in small, but powerful ways. Third, it was announced this week that the Holy Father was preparing an encyclical on ecological responsibility. All of this fits neatly with the public blessing of the parrot, a man’s gift.
As a pet owner, I count them gifts from God.
Of course, I’m not saying I would rush to my two felines blessed by the Pope either.
My books and laptop maybe…
- Pope Francis Blesses Porn Star’s Parrot (world.time.com)
- Pope Francis Blesses Porn Actor’s Parrot (gawker.com)
- The Pope Has Lost His Mind (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Pope Blesses Exotic-Film Actor’s Parrot (world.time.com)
- Pope Francis Blesses Porn Star’s Giant Parrot (mediaite.com)
- In Other News, Pope Francis Blessed A Parrot That Belongs to an Italian Erotic Film Star (geekosystem.com)
- If you give a pope a parrot … Francis gladly blesses parrot after dove attack disaster (foxnews.com)
- Pope Francis Befriends Parrot Named Amore In Wake Of Dove Disaster (huffingtonpost.com)