Bully for the President! Sudan, in case you don’t know, recently voted to divide itself into two sovereign states. The north is predominately Islamic while the south is Christian.
“On behalf of the people of the United States, I congratulate the people of Southern Sudan for a successful and inspiring referendum in which an overwhelmingly majority of voters chose independence,” Obama said in a statement.
“I am therefore pleased to announce the intention of the United States to formally recognize Southern Sudan as a sovereign, independent state in July 2011.”
- South Sudan On Track To Become World’s Newest Nation (huffingtonpost.com)
- Sudan’s Bashir backs S.Sudan freedom vote results (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Sudan’s president accepts southern secession (telegraph.co.uk)
- S. Sudan prepares to be world’s newest country (msnbc.msn.com)
- 99% vote for south Sudan separation- A new state (politics.ie)