So this post was originally the paper – but now it is in this book:
- Seventeen percent of those surveyed believe the King James Bible was first released shortly after the time of Christ.
- Younger Americans (age 18 to 26), often categorized as considerably less religious than older Americans (age 65 and older), are equally likely to be unsure of why the King James Bible was significant (34 percent vs. 33 percent respectively).
- Non-Christians or those with no faith are approximately twice as likely to know when the King James Bible was published (32 percent), than are non-practicing Christians (17 percent).
- Approximately half (45 percent) of all Bible readers use the King James Bible; far fewer say they read the New International Version (10 percent).
- Approximately six out of 10 adults who own a Bible own a King James Bible (57 percent) whereas only one out of eight Bible owners have a New International Version (12 percent).
HT - James McGrath on Facebook
Big, big #facepalm…
- Hitchens Reads The King James Bible (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- George Washington starts a tradition (manifoldgreatness.wordpress.com)
- Thoughts on the King James Bible (kiwianglo.wordpress.com)
- The King James Version (KJV): The Fool’s-Gold Standard of Bible Translation (goddidntsaythat.com)
- King James editions marred by mistakes (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
WACO, Texas (ABP) — Like the Old Testament prophet Ezekiel’s “wheel in the middle of a wheel,” King James-only churches represent a resilient subculture within the subculture of American fundamentalist Protestants, some scholars insist.
King James-only churches believe God preserved the inerrancy of the 1611 translation of the English Bible — perhaps even using it to correct errors in earlier versions of Scripture, said Jeffrey Straub, professor of historical theology at Central Baptist Theological Seminary in Plymouth, Minn.
“Few issues have had the kind of polarizing effect that the battle over Bible versions in general, and the battle for the KJV in particular, have had within some segments of American Protestantism,” Straub told a group during a conference at Baylor University marking the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible.
For King James-only Christians, he explained, “the use of the King James 1611 — as opposed to corruption of the KJV which include the New King James and even the New Scofield Reference Bible which updated certain words within the text, rendering it a corruption of the original KJV — has become the litmus test for Christian orthodoxy. The sign of a biblical church becomes the Bible version used from the pulpit.”
Okay, where have I heard that before… that litmus test bit… where you have believe some silliness which is not historical what.so.ever…. now, where have I heard that before… let me see….
The last sermon I heard preached at the previous place of worship was by a very angry man – generally angry, but on this occasion, angry at me for using something other than the KJV-1611 (which, ironically, he didn’t use either). He used the text which Jason analyzes. Why? Because they see that in the KJV (generally an Oxford 1769) and say ‘See, so you cannot have modern translations’.
And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the words of prophecy written in this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book. And if anyone removes any of the words from this book of prophecy, God will remove that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.
(Rev 22:18-19 NLT)
Every translation says the same thing here, but before that, so did the Greek, but in Greek. And, what’s really great, is that the sanctions are really only for either Deuteronomy or Revelation, but texts set in the apocalyptic arena. Anyway, check out his post:
First, from Brian,
PEOPLE LISTEN the niv and all other bibles are not the true translation only the kjv bible is the true bible don’t be decieved by the devil because the antichrist is comming to decieve you. The end is comming soon. The nniv as it is called is going to be worse not corrected. Zoldermens is making up storys it is man made. That is why there are so many bibles comming out. They aren’t the true bible. Any church that uses anything but the kjv bible is teaching the wrong thing. This was predicted in the kjv bible 2Timothy 4. Look for yourself.
Well, not really him, but one of his fly by commentators…
Then Rick, who blogs here, has been discussing several standard KJVO viewpoints…