I mean, if we are going to start chunking out the window history and methods long standing, I’m going to start with Hillel. I mean, sure, there are some serious connections between Hillel and Jesus in the Synoptics, but that doesn’t matter since neither existed.
What? Prove it you say?
Well, Hillel, just like the other teachers of his time, never wrote anything down. So, since he didn’t expect mental giants to deny his existence and write something down t counter them although his culture at the time really did need such things, then just must not have existed.
I mean, the closest we come are documents at least 100 years or more removed from him.
There is also the fact that he is just so covered up with ‘myth’ that we can never really find the real Hillel. For example, the most scholarly source available today for Hillel Mythicists, Wikipedia, states,
Hillel lived in Jerusalem during the time of King Herod and the Roman EmperorAugustus. In the Midrash compilation Sifre (Deut. 357), the periods of Hillel’s life are made parallel to those in the life of Moses. Both lived 120 years (Deut. 34:7), and at the age of forty Hillel went to the Land of Israel; forty years he spent in study; and the last third of his life he was the spiritual head of the Jewish people. A biographical sketch can be constructed; that Hillel went to Jerusalem in the prime of his life and attained a great age. His activity of forty years likely covered the period of 30 BCE to 10 CE.
See! Hillel’s ‘life’ is patterned after Moses. This proves that Hillel is just a literary vehicle.
And, while Josephus mentions Hillel’s grandson as present in his day (Life, 38), the Jewish Historical also mentions Jesus and we know that Josephus was really just a dumb historian who confused myths with facts and couldn’t produce anything but a cartoon version of history.
So, there you go. I’m a Historical Hillel mythicist.
- I don’t always agree with Ehrman, but when I do, it’s because he’s insulting mythicists (unsettledchristianity.com)
- Pick a side, Tom – Part II (unsettledchristianity.com)
- Mythicist Picture of the Day – 2 (unsettledchristianity.com)
- The Schizophrenia of Jesus Mythicists (unsettledchristianity.com)
- Carrier’s Argument from Ignorance (unsettledchristianity.com)
- Does anyone know Ehrman’s source for this? (vridar.wordpress.com)
- 3. Earl Doherty’s Response to Bart Ehrman’s Case Against Mythicism: Chapters 1-2 (vridar.wordpress.com)
- Did Rabbi Hillel really exist? Not only is the Talmud divine revelation, but all history as well. (onedaringjew.wordpress.com)