At last night’s Superbowl, Coca-Cola dared to show a video highlighting multiculturalism.
And the rightwing, as expected, came out in force. Groups are threatening to Boycott Coke and for what? Recognizing we are a multicultural society?
If you are going to boycott Coke, do so for real reasons:
Lawsuits were filed in the United States in 2001 and 2006 by the United Steelworkers of America and the International Labor Rights Fund on behalf of SINALTRAINAL, several of its members who were falsely imprisoned and the survivors of Isidro Gil and Adolfo de Jesus Munera, two of its murdered officers. The lawsuits charged Coca-Cola bottlers “contracted with or otherwise directed paramilitary security forces that utilized extreme violence and murdered, tortured, unlawfully detained or otherwise silenced trade union leaders.” The lawsuits and campaign were developed to force Coca-Cola to once and for all end further bloodshed, compensate victims and provide safe working conditions.
The Campaign called for the main judge, Joseph E. Martinez, who presided over the original lawsuits against The Coca-Cola Co. and its Colombian bottlers in Federal District Court in Miami, Florida, to recuse himself because of serious conflicts of interest and statements he made about the case. (Read “Talking Points” 3 on Martinez)
Coca-Cola, which is virulently anti-union, claims that any allegations that its bottlers in Colombia are involved in the systematic intimidation, kidnapping, torture, and murder of union leaders are false. Yet the company has fought every effort to have an independent investigation into these allegations while at the same time has misled the public and its own shareholders with a long string of lies and bogus investigations. (Read “Talking Points” 4 on bogus investigations)
- The Real Thing– Butthurt Right Wing calling for Boycott. Coca-Cola’s “unAmerican” multilingual Super Bowl ad is driving Twitter xenophobes crazy (vergeofpurge.newsvine.com)
- Coca Cola Super Bowl Ad Inspires Racist Twitter Backlash (mediaite.com)
- Coca-Cola Super Bowl Ad (neatorama.com)
- Coca Cola Super Bowl Ad Inspires Racist Twitter Backlash | Mediaite (plantsmantx.newsvine.com)
- Coca-Cola: America The Beautiful (nlfrenchfry.wordpress.com)
- This Superbowl Commercial made me swear off Coca Cola forever… (bluegrasspundit.com)
- Flotsam and jetsam (2/3) (marccortez.com)