Imagine that tomorrow’s newspaper comes with a surprising headline: ‘Scientists Discover that Human Behavior is Entirely Determined.’ Reading through the article, you learn more about precisely what this determinism entails. It turns out that everything you do – every behavior, thought and decision – is completely caused by prior events, which are in turn caused by earlier events… and so forth, stretching back in a long chain all the way to the beginning of the universe.
Thought this might be interesting, giving recent discussions in the blogosphere.
- The free will illusion illusion (psychologytoday.com)
- “Craig vs Harris” and related posts (metamagician3000.blogspot.com)
- Moral Responsibility vs. Moral Judgement (unfspb.wordpress.com)
- The Science of Morality (atheistethicist.blogspot.com)
- Deterministic Moral Responsibility? (war-on-error.xanga.com)
- The value of believing in free will (endhereditaryreligion.com)
- Lost in the Moral Landscape (seeingfaith.com)