Yes, Romney lied… And what is more, the number of women in the cabinet went down by TW end of his single term in office:
What actually happened was that in 2002 — prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration — a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.
Tons of more stuff out there. Go, inform yourself.
- The Binder Story Was Another Lie? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Mitt Romney: “They brought us whole binders full of women” (newstatesman.com)
- Romney’s “Binders Full of Women?” Yet Another Lie (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- According to the Boston Phoenix’s David S. Bernstein, the “Binders Full of Women” story isn’t even true, as presented by Romney. More details: (shortformblog.com)
- Fact Checking Mitt Romney’s Women Binders (theatlanticwire.com)