Here in Florida we’re getting a lot of political ads. One of the key topics in both the Senate race between Connie Mack and Bill Nelson and in the presidential race is Medicare. How would you evaluate the plans that each presidential candidate has for Medicare? Should senior citizens be concerned? (here)
First, Mitt Romney’s plan is bunk. The voucher system will only feed more corporations while lessening the actual value of the service. Doing away with the closing of the donuts, etc… by Romney/Ryan will sooner than later destroy the safety net for the elderly.
But, the President’s plan is not the best either. Neither actually are seeking to solve the situation long term because no one has yet developed what a solution will actually look like.
Are cuts really what we need to save medicare? A voucher system?
This goes back to the basic problem of our health care system. Something like 90% or more of the country has access to only one brand of health insurance. It this was the case for any other industry, this would fall under the anti-trust laws, something health insurance is excluded from. Neither candidate, as far as I can tell, has actually recommended breaking up the insurance monopolies. Neither candidate is actually addressing the lingering problems of what to do with the elderly since the health care is so good.
The right to life is something I deeply cherish, but the right to life includes the right to a good life. So, medicare/medicaid is an important factor for me. I’m not an expert on the matter, but the cuts the President has proposed and carried through are beneficial in that they cut waste and expenses; yet, this will only help so long. Costs need to be curtailed.
The only way for this to work is a single-payer health care system.
- GOP Senate Candidate Tommy Thompson: ‘Who Better Than Me… To Do Away With Medicaid and Medicare?’ (surfer53.wordpress.com)
- Gallup: Obama Holds Medicare Edge Nationally And In Swing States (addictinginfo.org)
- Health Care is not the same as Health Insurance (roseylinn.wordpress.com)
- Where the candidates stand: Medicare and Medicaid (pbs.org)
- Poll: More trust Obama on Medicare (politico.com)
- ‘I’m the guy running for president, not him’ (politico.com)
- Romney-Ryan Medicare: No love for students, seniors (salon.com)
- Connie Mack disagrees with Ryan budget cuts to Medicare (tampabay.com)